Monday, March 30, 2015

Life Lately: Bringing A Toddler To Church


Even in the busiest of times, make a priority to stop for a moment and smell the roses. Or in my case, enjoy a beautiful sunset.

Hi, Friends!

Life has been extremely busy lately. Work has been crazy that I arrived home late in the evening everyday. On top of that, the weather has been pretty unpredictable: nice and sunny in the morning, scorching hot in the midday, and pouring rain in the late afternoon!

One day I managed to get home early and it was a beautiful twilight. The sun almost set and the sky is the colors of jewel: gold, deep blue, pink, lavender and purple. It was a rare occassion during the busy week that I could come home when the sun is still in the sky that I snapped a picture through my car's sideview mirror and said a little prayer of thanks that I have eyes to savour the precious view. Sunrise and sunset is an everyday occurence, and quite often - it provides a magnificent, magical, serene moment. Unfortunately nowadays people are too busy to appreciate such beauty. Next time, why don't you take the time to watch the sun sets over the horizon in a good weather? It's uplifting to the spirit and makes one feel calm.

It was only fifteen minutes after five when I snapped the picture. I live in the tropics, so the sun sets at six o'clock in the evening pretty much all year round.
  

"She is not concerned for her household when it snows -- all her charges are doubly clothed." (Proverbs 31:21)

As busy as I was at work, and as much as I love my job, I never forget that being and a wife and a mother comes waaaaay before work. So when I saw that my husband's only proper sandal looked like they have been attacked viciously by a big cat, I bought him two new pairs of Crocs sandals. Crocs are expensive, but I managed to find an online outlet store that sell them at a fraction of the retail price. Crocs are comfortable and durable, they protect the feet and look a bit like shoes which make them versatile. Hubby loves seeing his wife all dressed up, but he dislikes being dressed up himself. Being his wife, I want him to look nice, so knowing his penchant for casual and comfortable outfits, I got him Crocs so he can wear them shoe-style for Church and at least they will look better than him wearing sandals! I am still working at persuading him wearing more formal shoes for Church. Sometimes he complies, more often he doesn't. Well, at least Crocs are not open-toed sandals.

I got him two in different colors: black and camel for nightime and daytime. Also, black is just suitable to wear when he goes off to construction projects because his feet will be protected.



Let children play! Let children be children!

I'm firm believer that the ability of using gadgets 'fluently' at young age is not a big accomplishment. On the other hand, I believe that gadgets are a negative distraction for children's learning process. Do you know that Steve Jobs didn't give iPad to his young children? Some time ago, I read an article about Waldorf School in the US that supports my gadget-limitation for children policy. Waldorf is a school that is computer and gadget free. They believe that technology is supposed to aid the learning process, but introducing them too early will hinder and distract the learning and creative process. The odd thing is, high executives from high-tech companies such as eBay, Google, Yahoo!, Apple and Hewlett-Packard send their children there. A Google executive parent stated, "We at Google, as well at other tech companies, created such a user-friendly devices and system that using them is just like brushing your teeth. There is no way a child will not be able to master gadgets later on when they're older."

I let my two-year-old son play with my iPhone once in a while. Michael is also alloted some time to watch chosen YouTube videos, mostly children nursery songs. However, Hubby and I don't let him play games on iPad like we see with other children. We do notice that families who hold a gadget each don't communicate to each other, they do with their gadgets instead. That's not the direction that we want to go.

Also, we limit TV time. We are firm believers that children should be children. They should jump and run and play and be active to develop their motor and coordination skills, as well as teaching them a lifetime of healthy habit and active lifestyle. Children should not be cooped up for hours watching TV and stare at smartphone screen.

Therefore we often take Michael to the park. Last weekend we went to the mall to visit an event by Morinaga, a baby and children's nutritional food company. A friend of ours work there. They created a colorful playground in the mall piazza where children can play hide-and-seek, climb, play with swing and other stuff. Michael was ecstatic! He was a little bit scared at first, seeing so many people and children in one place. But five minutes later he ran and climbed and play with other children, laughing and giggling with joy that was so fun to watch. We always encourage our son to take yet another step towards independence. With our supervision, of course.





Let your children take part in the decision process that involved them, and most likely they will be more willing to stick with it.

Morinaga just launched a new product: a line of pasteurized milk. Michael was given a sample and at first - being a suspicious child - refused. I encouraged him to give it a try and promised him that if he didn't like it, he didn't need to finish the cup. He drank it all and asked for more! So we decided to buy him half a dozen bottles to carry home with us, in his favorite chocolate flavor.


Lately we have been adding UHT ready-to-drink chocolate milk to Michael's daily milk portion, in addition to his formula. Every evening, one or two hours after dinner, we give him a bottle as a treat. Michael doesn't like milk all that much, so our goal is giving him an option - or an additional portion if you will - of milk that he would enjoy. And he does like chocolate milk. Also, it's very convenient when we travel. All we need to pack are some ready-to-drink milk that we can also buy at any convenience and grocery stores.

Last week, we took him for a walk to a grocery store in our neighborhood so he can pick and choose his own ready-to-drink milk supplies.


Teach your children from an early age that it is a courtesy and good manners to dress up for Church. And more than that, it shows respect to Our Lord.

One dressed up for a date and job interview, so how come one doesn't to go to the House of The Lord? As mentioned, Hubby is not a believer of formal dressing, and I try to keep my tongue to constantly 'harass' him about his Church clothes pick outs. Instead, I'm trying to teach my son to dress properly for Church.

On the other hand, I didn't expect perfect manners and behavior from him. Afterall, he's two years old! He did whine and asked many times: "Can we go home now?" And we do let him play a bit with Mommy's bag, stand and sit then stand again then sit again, then walk around a bit. We know that being a usually active toddler, he's bored, and we want him to be excited to go to Church. Or at least, not refusing to go or making a scene when it's time to go to Church.

I try to get him involved in the procession, explaining with simple words. For example, during the Bible reading, I told him "Now we're going to read from the big book." Then when it's Holy Communion time, I told him "Now everyone will go up front and eat bread." He remembers about the breaking of bread among everything else, that the last time we went to Mass, he asked, pointed to the Pastor "Where the baker keep the bread, Mommy?" And yes, he asked with a loud baby voice that made adults around us smiled!



Being a Mommy doesn't give one an excuse to being frumpy!

In respect of my Creator, myself, and my husband, I always try to make myself look at least presentable. Not glammed-up at all times, mind you, just not sloppy-looking. Most of the time I try anyway! Here's the batik dress I wore to Church. After Mass, we went home, tucked Michael into bed, and went out for a late night date. 

Dressing up always makes me feel good. Also, seeing Mommy looking pretty delights Michael as well as his Daddy. Of course, small children will love Mommy regardless how she looks, but we notice that Michael prefers seeing Mommy wearing nice clothes than old clothes. I guess God instilled in us human the love of beauty from a very early age. No wonder, sine God Himself created such a beautiful world for us to live in!




Date night with Hubby doesn't equal extravagance.

We had finally finished our construction project. Our property was now ready for sale. Hubby and I celebrated in a very modest, simple way. After checking the property, we went to a local convenient store and ordered some hotdog, instant noodle, and cold drinks. Wonderful evening, nice conversation, happy mood, awesome husband. Cheap date can be so much fun and memorable and meaningful!

I'm linking up to these wonderful Ladies:

Monday


Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

6 comments:

Lydia @ Thrifty Frugal Mom said...

I love that you are helping your son learn the value of dressing up and also how to sit in church. The church we go to is a bit unusual in that after Sunday School, during the worship time, children join us for the service. It takes a bit of extra work, but they really can learn to sit still and be mostly quiet. And I'm amazed at what all they pick up about God even at a young age just by being with us! Blessings!

bluecottonmemory said...

What a cute little boy! When my boys were little, they dressed nicely for church. For a few years during the teen years, they balked at dressing nicely. After they turned 22, they suddenly just started dressing nice on their own! It sounds like you are blessed with your sweet family!

Jessica Jannenga said...

I think it is great showing your son how to dress for church and sitting in church. It was commonplace to dress up when I grew up.
I didn't know where to contact you about this: Can you add my link up to Tuesdays list? Turning Heads Tuesday at www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

I would love for you to come today and share your fashion!
jess xx

a joyful noise said...

I enjoyed your post and liked the shoes you purchased for your husband. I wonder if his mother taught him to dress nice for church and now he is wanting to be more relaxed. Perhaps you will influence him and I am glad you are not nagging him. Your son is so sweet and it is good he learns to behave in church and also learns to shop. You always look nice, and I know hubby and son are pleased that you are not frumpy. I love your dress. Thank you for sharing with us here at tell me a story

Mary Dolan Flaherty said...

Your family is beautiful. I had to laugh though, because your first picture looked like it could be an ad for Apple, the second an ad for Croc. I love looking at pictures on peoples' blogs. And yes, you have to get creative sometimes with toddlers! They certainly keep you on your toes! Visiting from W2W

Naomi said...

What a sweet post. I loved seeing Michael in his church clothes and reading about all the lessons he is learning.Thank you for sharing at Monday's Musings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...