Friday, January 4, 2013

Button, Ocean N Sky


Happy New Year 2013, Friends!

These pictures were taken when I was 18 weeks pregnant. Like with my other shift dresses, I had to open the front seams at the waist part for the dress to fit my growing belly. I can easily sew it up again once the baby is born. My only problem is that the skirt becomes shorter, it hitches up due to my rounded belly, but luckily my dresses are generally above the knee but not too short, so they still look decent.

The dress is tailor made out of a piece of Pekalongan batik fabric. I planned to make a princess style dress, with billowy skirt, but I didn't have enough material, so I decided to have a shift dress made, instead. It's a modern batik, unlike the commom intricate, ethnic Indonesian batik motives. Most people didn't even know it's a traditional batik!

I love shift dresses, because unlike sheath dresses, it gives you shape, but doesn't show off all the curves of your body. Bandage dresses can be very sexy, and I do own some, but I don't wear them unless on intimate date nights with my husband. You know, one of those rare romantic evenings when you go to an expensive grown up restaurant where no children present, have an overpriced candlelight dinner while gazing lovingly at each other, with luxurious ambiance, soft piano music, and hard-to-pronounce wine list? The ones that you save for special occassions? That's when the sexy dresses come out of the closet. Haha!

The blazer, is refashioned from one of Mom's old blazers. Years ago, she wore this to one of her children's graduation day. Was it mine or my brothers'? I forgot. It's of a very good quality material, but the style is a little bit old, so I had is refashioned to make it look more tailored and fitted instead of big and bulky like during Dynasty TV show days. Even then, some of my friends still say it's look a little bit old fashioned, but I love it anyway!
When I was little, I was a weird kid. My favorite movie(s) of all time were the Star Wars series. I loved astronomy. I spent hours watching the stars. I dreamed to work for NASA or SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) in New Mexico. UFO news and stories fascinated me. Steven Spielberg's and George Lucas' space movies entrhalled me. Well, to tell you the truth, I still love all those things, but in more normal proportion now. ^_^

However, I was your average school girl, too. I made good grades, I was pretty active at school and had many friends. But inside, I was a loner. Sometimes I even wondered if were really my parents' daughter or I really came from outer space! I know, my imagination ran wild in those days! I didn't play games on the computer, I'd rather inventing my own games and stories. Ow, and it was fun and harmless, mind you. It made my childhood felt not just wonderful, but also unique. Edgy. Haha!

Therefore, no wonder that my favorite song of all time is a very sweet but sad ballad by Michael Jackson, titled "Someone In The Dark". It's a theme from E.T. The Movie. You can, of course, guess from the lyric, that it tells a story of a loner who searched for - and found - a true friend, from "the dark evening sky" or outer space. Check it out.

Someone In The Dark


All alone wishing on stars
Waiting for you to find me
One sweet night I knew I would see
A stranger who'd be my friend

When someone in the dark reaches out to you
And touches off a spark that comes shining through
It tells you never be afraid
Then somewhere in your heart you can feel the glow
A light to keep you warm when the night winds blow
Like it was written in the stars I knew
My friend, my someone in the dark was you

Promise me we'll always be
Walking the world together
Hand in hand where dreams never end
My star secret friend and me

When someone in the dark reaches out to you
And touches off a spark that comes shining through
It tells you never be afraid
Then somewhere in your heart you can feel the glow
A light to keep you warm when the night winds blow
Look for the rainbow in the sky
I believe you and I
Could never really say goodbye

Wherever you may be
I'll look up and see
Someone in the dark for me
Wherever you may be
I'll look up and see
Someone in the dark for me
***



Dress: tailor made. Blazer: refashioned from one of Mom's old blazers. Purse: Stradivarius. Earrings: Warna MKG. Bracelets: old collection and Shanghai. Gladiator sandals: Debenhams. Necklace: F21, birthday gift from my husband.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely song. I love that shade of blue on you. Absolutely gorgeous and your bangle bracelets are so pretty.

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

You don't look pregnant at all. But hey, you look good. I think a dress like that is perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...